|Unwinding 2013's Watch!|
In December, I set the goal of trying something new every single day. This turned out to be a lot of fun and I enjoyed sharing my "something new" with Facebook friends, who were incredibly supportive of my attempts. (In fact, this challenge gave me two of my ideas for 2014!) When I look back over the past thirty days, I noticed how many of my "something news" involved food in one way or another. Let's see:
- Day 1 - I went to my hometown's annual Christmas tree lighting. Friends, merriment, and carols. No food. This was a trend that would not last.
- Day 2 - Tried scallops. Didn't work too well, but I tried.
- Day 3 - Had a Black Forest smoothie for breakfast. Yum! OK, I'm going to work the food angle now.
- Day 4 - Tried gourmet hot chocolate with cinnamon. Again with the yum.
- Day 5 - Had snacks at the campus bookstore for Faculty/Staff Appreciation Day and bought a ridiculously on-sale sweatshirt.
- Day 6 - Cooked a comfort dinner and used the good china and crystal just for me.
- Day 7 - Tried hot jasmine tea. (See, only a week in and almost everything is food-related!)
- Day 8 - Tried a Thai dish called "drunken noodle."
- Day 9 - Bought a springform pan with the notion of making a "from scratch" cheesecake.
- Day 10 - Made and tried instant cafe mocha. Serious yum!
- Day 11 - Tried the "blue" Toblerone.
- Day 12 - Doughnut holes from my hometown bakery.
- Day 13 - Winter pedicure. (See - it's not all food!)
- Day 14 - Tried an appetizer called "Crunchy Thai Noodle."
- Day 15 - Explored the "Farm to Front Porch" local food project. It, of course, came with samples!
- Day 16 - Went to the community theatre show. Hilarious! (And yeah, there were snacks at intermission.)
- Day 17 - Discovered a wealth of do-it-yourself spa treatments on Pinterest and made a salt scrub.
- Day 18 - Unwound with hot tea and a homemade peppermint foot soak.
- Day 19 - Made that cheesecake!
- Day 20 - Elegant dinner at a friend's house, featuring roasted winter vegetables and a brined chicken.
- Day 21 - Tried tortellini al forno.
- Day 22 - Tried a fresh-made ginger limeade.
- Day 23 - Browsed in a nice jewelry store while my engagement ring was inspected and cleaned.
- Day 24 - Made cranberry-nut bread from my mom's recipe.
- Day 25 - Had a home spa night with multiple "treatments."
- Day 26 - Started "Couch to 5K" with my first jog in years and years! (It doesn't look like it's related to food, but I'm pretty sure it's an indirect result!)
- Day 27 - Watched the anime masterpiece Akira.
- Day 28 - Made (and used!) a homemade "achy muscle" bath to treat my owowowowow! from starting the "Couch to 5K" program!
- Day 29 - Tried a to-die-for chocolate truffle made with lavender, honey, and lemon.
- Day 30 - Made a composting bin with the idea of composting yard and household scraps to enrich the garden. (Again, an indirect result of all the food!)
Whew! As I said, much fun. May 2014 be a good year for all of us - full of opportunities, delights, and growth.
See you next year!