Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Sheep and Ox (not Moose and Squirrel)

According to the Chinese calendar (I guess I'm continuing the theme from the last post), we are now in the Year of the Ox. As you may think, an "ox year" is one best spent hunkering down and proceeding in a "cautious yet determined manner." Nothing wrong with an ox year, but it's one of those "slow down and take a look around" sorts of times. Not bad advice at any time.

Curious (I don't plan my life around astrology; choosing to believe that huge whirling chunks of rock have little to do with my day-to-day life - but then again, who knows? And it's always fun to read the place mats while I'm waiting from my no-doubt authentic Mandarin pepper steak), I examined what the year is supposed to hold for me. According to the Chinese calendar I consulted, I'm a Sheep. (Keep your comments to yourselves, please!)

Alas, it is at best what in college sports would be called a "building year." I apparently don't have a single "favorable month" in the next twelve, although I seem to be laying the groundwork for later prosperity. Sigh.

And it turns out that I'm an insecure daydreamer who needs to let others run the show sometimes. Hmmm - could be some truth in some of that . . .

3 comments:

Lloyd said...

So, I was tempted to make a comment about a "wolf in sheep's clothing", but I was reminded of Churchill's comment about a "sheep in sheep's clothing" and thought that more appropriate :-)

chadspurling said...

I just don't see you sitting back and letting others run things. I guess I'll always think of you as a director.

Whedongeek said...

I enjoy your reflections. You're right -- live life deliberately! Trying to learn that lesson myself. We're both sheep, actually! However, if we go by the Chinese New Year, my Jan 1 birthday makes me a horse instead. A horse is a horse of course of course. And who ever heard of a talking horse? Unless, of course, that horse, of course, is the famous Aly B.! SOme just call me a horse's ***, though... Hmmm....