Saturday, April 26, 2008

Seven Veils and Asparagus

Ah, the plethora of springtime opportunities in a small Southern town!

We had a new farmers' market kickoff today, so I went up to stroll around a bit. I even took my "look, I'm green!" shoulder bag with me. That turned out to be a wise move - I left with a number of locally-grown items, some of which (like a butterfly bush) wouldn't fit in the bag in the first place. I also scored a couple of lovely pork chops - that was unexpected. I was set for veggies and fruit, but not protein.

By the way - I may have any number of sins staining my soul, but I'm no hypocrite. I like meat and yes, I know exactly where it comes from and that little piggie was probably gamboling around a pen just a few days ago. I'm okay with that for you see, when I was but a fledgling li'l Mockingbird, my father raised hogs and Angus cattle so I got the whole "circle of life" thing at quite a young age. That'll happen when you both bury kittens and help a colt get born.

But back to the topic at hand.

I love farmers' markets. I like talking with the folks who grew what I'm going to be planting, cooking, or otherwise enjoying. I like petting the dogs who are checking everything out with their owners - Spooky stayed home today - she's in the final stages of planning a climb up the east face of K2 and couldn't really be disturbed, even for locally-grown Swiss chard. And this was also the day of an arts festival, so I got to browse through painted gourd birdhouses and listen to hammered dulcimer music.

Then, it was off to the Y for another attempt at introducing exercise into my life. I'm getting better at it, thanks to friends who expect me to show up. Today, we tried something new - exercise through belly dancing. Tremendous fun - hip shot, figure 8, kick, and circle! Again. Now add the arms! And s-t-r-e-t-c-h and kick. Now the hips again! While I'm in no danger of being mistaken for a transplanted desert flower, I did at least okay.

But I want finger cymbals!

5 comments:

amnbdad said...

So that's what was going on uptown. It's good your learning belly dancing. That way if the whole teaching, writing, acting, lawyering doesn't work out you'll have something to fall back on.

amnbdad said...

That should read teaching, writing, acting, lawyering thing doesn't work out. The thing is the thing.

Librarian Who said...

Next belly dancing class I am there! And by the way, do you feel a sin coming on?

K. Dale Koontz said...

Why, I do believe I do!! But it's okay - all saints have a past and all sinners have a future.

At least that's what the T-shirt said!

Beth said...

Last month I attended a gathering that included dinner at a Moroccan restaurant. In the course of the evening, we were entertained by no less than three (maybe 4, but after three, I stopped counting) belly dancers. Overwhelming!