Monday, October 15, 2007

Bon Voyage and Cheerio!

So in a little while, it's off to the airport with me. Your faithful correspondent is about to become a roving correspondent, as I leave for the BUFFY HEREAFTER conference in Istanbul later today. There's still a list of things to get done, but it'll all happen. As a friend memorably put it last night when I was fretting about how much there was to do and how much I couldn't really plan for, "You've done everything to get ready that you can. Now go and do your best to enjoy the ride. Who knows? Maybe they've just put in a requirement that you have to buy a monkey to enter the country. Do you want to go? (quick nod from me.) Thought so - go buy the monkey!"

It's just that I've never traveled to a place that's offended enough at my country that they just recalled their ambassador. Diplomatically speaking, that's more than just being miffed. It's even beyond being irked.

However, when the lovely and telepathic Spooky was taking her walk through the neighborhood with me this morning, we noticed two majestic wild turkeys posing for us on one of the lawns. Just - there. Maybe that's a sign. Of what, I have no idea.

Maybe I'm going to have to buy a monkey.

Time to quit spinning like a dervish and go watch the professionals.

In the meantime, I hope to post updates and at least a few pictures during the trip. Those will be over at unfetteredbrilliance, the blog I set up for the BUFFY class. Please visit often! Back in a week!

6 comments:

Akin said...

Missing you already! Can't wait for the pics and stories!

*megahug*

Dale Guffey said...

I'm just hoping the stories don't wind up involving frenzied protests against the USA . . . must think positive.

Gonna buy the monkey.

Librarian Who said...

So how is the monkey? Have I mentioned how impressed and proud of you I am? Good luck with your presentation! Have a wonderful time!

sandman96 said...

I hope your trip is going smoothly and you are having a wonderful time. I can't wait to hear about it.

amnbdad said...

May the fates be on your side. May they lead you on the right paths to fun and fulfilment and then may they lead you safely back to us.

K. Dale Koontz said...

Hey - your comments show up in English, but all the blog controls are in Turkish! Go figure!

Yes, things are going well - longer comments are posted over at unfetteredbrilliance; check that out. The presentations was well received; I've sampled the local cusine (including "Turke Cola!" Yes, it has an exclamation point), and last night, I went to Asia.

Pretty cunning, don't you think?

Thanks so much for the kind words and support! I miss you guys and I'll see you in a couple of days - with a monkey!